Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Traditional Thanksgiving Menu

Cooking Irish can also be found at PETITCHEF and Pinterest.

As an adult Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I ask, "What could be better than food, family, friends, and football?" Growing up I remember usually staying at home for Thanksgiving with my mom cooking the traditional meal. She made the stuffing the way my father liked it. It was his mother's recipe from Germany. I still make it that way today--mainly hamburger, sausage, and seasoning. It is more a comfort food than bread stuffing. My most memorable Thanksgiving was 1971.  Northern New York State had a blizzard.  It snowed and snowed.  We lost power for a few days.  I remember we had a gas stove, hot water heater, and furnace that my father could start manually so at least we did not freeze and could cook a few things.  We put everything from the fridge onto the screened porch to keep from spoiling.  My mother made bacon and eggs for Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room by candlelight!!  By Sunday we had power and had our turkey feast after mass.  This is the menu I choose every year.  Most of the selections are those my mother made with some additions by me.





Thanksgiving Menu

Appetizer: Crab Cake
Soup:  Pumpkin with Pumpkin Seed Garnish Served in Little Pumpkins
Bread: Coconut Bread ala Canterbury 

Turkey with Sausage and Beef Dressing
Mashed Potatoes and Giblet Gravy
Sweet Potatoes
Yellow Winter Squash
Creamed Onions
White Turnips
Relish: Stuffed Celery, Olive Assortment, Cooked Creanberries
Dessert: Apple, Pumpkin, and Pecan Pies


No comments:

Post a Comment