Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cooking Irish: Chicken Tetrazzini

Cooking Irish can also be found at PETITCHEF and Pinterest. 




                                                                                                                       
                                     Powerscourt Centre


This recipe is presented not only because of its flavor but because it was one of my mother's favorite dishes.  She just loved it.  I wish she had been with us when we had this for lunch at a restaurant in Powerscourt off Grafton Street in Dublin.  And I wish I could still cook this for my mom, but I do make it for myself on occasion, and I feel close to her when I do.  We all have recipes like this that make us feel close to lost loved ones--a special, unique ingredient of cooking and food sharing.

Powerscourt Town House is a unique center where fashion, beauty, salons, antiques, jewelery, gifts, restaurants, and cafes all can be found under one roof.  It is my favorite shopping area in Dublin not only because of the beautiful surroundings but also because of the specialty shops.  It is not your standard mall with standard chains of stores.  There are 42 shops, galleries 

and boutiques with many relaxing restaurants, bars, [not pubs] and cafes. It was new in the mid-eighties, and I loved it not only because it was so ahead of its time but because the stores offered mostly non-Irish selections that could not be found anywhere else in Dublin.  It was the one place in Dublin where one could go and actually believe for a time you were in another country.  This is the place you will want to go for the unusual gift or new idea, and it is where I purchased the beautiful crystal glasses that were smashed in the London train station storage room I wrote about in a previous post.  I still can hear the music from a grand piano in the center of the mall and can still see the lovely gold creations in an Italian jewelry boutique.


A wonderful story about my mom:  first, many people over the years often told me my mother was the most beautiful woman in our town. And not only beautiful to look at, but a true lady.  She never went out without a hat and gloves.  My mother had Alzheimer's for many, many years, and I was her caregiver for the last few years of her life.  I had a very long time to prepare for her funeral and that was a good thing because her funeral was very important to her.  She was a member of her church's 
bereavement committee for many years and went to many wakes and funerals.  She planned most of her funeral with me when her mind was still sound, and it was a joyful experience for us--almost as if we were planning a wedding. Later, as the disease advanced and she was in hospice, I ordered four styles of personal stamps for her funeral announcements.  Each set was a different picture of her as a young woman.  Stamp.com wrote back and told me they were not allowed to make stamps with vintage pictures of celebrities.  I wrote back and told them it was just my mom in upstate New York who was only a celebrity to her family!  They made the stamps that were lovingly placed on her death announcements.





                                                                                  
              My mom, Charlotte Anne Rose O'Brien Abry


The photo below is one of my mom sent to my dad when they were engaged during WWII.  My dad was a marine in a B-25 bomber as a tail gunner/photographer in the Pacific theater: Okinawa, Saipan, and Iwo Jima. They were high school sweethearts and grew up on the same street just a few houses apart.
 

 
Irish Chicken Tetrazzini--Mom's Favorite     [Serves 6-8]
Ingredients:

1 three to four lb. chicken, quartered
2 tsp. of black pepper
4 tbsp. of butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 large stalk of celery, chopped
8 oz. of mushrooms, sliced
1 can of cream of celery soup
8 oz. of vermicelli

8 oz. of white cheddar cheese, grated

Preparation:


Place the chicken and black pepper into 2 quarts of water,. Cover and simmer for an hour until tender.  [For a recipe like this there is no substitute for a whole  chicken.  Chicken breasts no matter how well  marinated or cooked cannot produce the tenderness and juiciness of the whole chicken. And really what can be easier than throwing the chicken into a pot of water?]  Remove chicken and set aside.  Strain broth.  Cook vermicelli in  the chicken broth until almost tender--al dente.  Drain and place in lightly sprayed 2-quart shallow baking dish. [ I usually cut the vermicelli into bite-sized pieces, but that is just my preference.] Preheat oven to 350°.  Sauté the garlic, green pepper, onion, and celery in butter.  Add the mushrooms and cook a few more minutes until the mushrooms are just tender.  Add the celery soup and heat through.  Remove skin and bones from the chicken, and shred the meat into bite-sized pieces and place over the vermicelli.  Cover with the soup mixture and top with the grated cheese.  Bake for 40 minutes. Sometimes I add a buttered breadcrumb topping for even more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment