Monday, August 11, 2014

Irish Cooking: Eleven-Course French Menu

Cooking Irish can also be found at PETITCHEF and Pinterest.


When we lived in Ireland, my Irish friends made us feel part of their family. My best friend Teri always invited Erin, Eli, and me to Sunday dinner. She usually made a large roast, potato, fresh veggies, bread, dessert, and coffee. It was a great part of the week, and I have so many fond memories of those delicious yet simple meals amongst such caring and generous people. It was wonderful to be part of something so special. To repay them in some small way, I fashioned an 11-course French dinner. 




                             Trim, County Meath, Ireland


I planned this classic 3-hour continental dinner:


First Course--Hors D'Oeuvres: Beef and Goat Cheese Carpaccio with Oysters Rockefeller Garnish 


Second Course--Soup: Lobster Bisque with Fresh Herbs 


Third Course--Fish: Coquilles Saint-Jacques and Roasted Flounder Stuffed with Shrimp and Crab 


Fourth Course--Entrée: Chicken Cordon Bleu 


Fifth Course--Removes: Herbed Rice Pilaf and Prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus 


Sixth Course--Sorbert: Creamy Pineapple 


Seventh Course--Roast: Duck L'Orange


Eighth Course--Salad: Arugala, Pear, Avocado, Walnut, and Roquefort Salad


Ninth Course--Garde Manger: Bleu cheese stuffed olives/Cheese-filled ripe olives/Brie En Croute/Assorted Relishes 


Tenth Course--Sweets: Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Raspberry Sauce and Mint Garnish and Mousse au Chocolat


Eleventh Course--Dessert: Irish Coffee and an assortment of Fruits and Cheeses,


Dinner Bread/Rolls: Toasted Coconut Bread


Assorted Wines and After-Dinner Liqueurs 


I spent a week shopping and cooking, and the night before "the event" Teri called and said a relative had died, and the family would not be able to come to my townhouse for dinner.  I decided to bring the French dinner to them so they had plenty of food at the house for all their guests.  And that is how all this food was literally consumed in ten minutes.  Then the Guinness® flowed for the rest of the evening, and I got to experience a true Irish wake.  I
 also planned an updated version of this exact meal for my sister Paige's 60th birthday celebration.   


Next: the recipe for Mousse au Chocolat from this dinner menu--the hit of the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment