Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Irish St. Patrick's Day Menu

Cooking Irish can also be found on PETITCHEF and Pinterest.


I have been so busy this past year that I have not had time to blog, but I did want to include my favorite menu for St. Patrick's Day dinner.  I have missed sharing memories of my Irish adventures and promise to return to my reveries soon.  For now let me provide my favorite items for a truly wonderful 17 March supper.  These dishes happen to be my favorites, but please peruse all the items in the appetizer, soup, and dessert categories for you might find something more favorable to your palate. I had a difficult time deciding on my favorite way to end the meal.  I really like the Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake and the Irish Caramel and Ice Cream Shortbread.  I think I may bake both.   


My granddaughter Alexander Eleanor Anne




 My granddaughter Claudia Paige and her horse Shamrock










Menu for St. Patrick’s Day Dinner


Appetizer: Trio of Irish Baked Seafood Spreads [Found in the Hors d'oeuvres/Appetizers Category]


Soup: Irish Potato, Shrimp, and Cheese Soup  [Found in the Soups/Chowders/Bisques/Stews Category]

Bread: Irish Brown Bread  [Purchase Odum's® online or at a local Irish shop or Select An Alternative Bread from the Breads/Muffins/Scones Category]

Entrée: Corned Beef and Cabbage  [Found in the Beef Entrées Category]

Dessert: Irish Caramel and Ice Cream Shortbread  [Found in the Desserts/Sweets Category]

Aperitif: Selection of Irish Coffees  [Found in the Beverages Category]


The only variation for this meal is in the soup selection.  I use the recipe for the Irish Potato and Ham Soup, but eliminate the ham and substitute fresh shrimp and some cheddar cheese.  The shrimp just adds a touch of celebration to such a wonderful day.  All these recipes are found in the appropriate categories listed to the right.  I hope you have a wonderful St. Patty’s Day.  One note: after years of trying to duplicate the wonderful Irish brown bread, I have conceded it is impossible to get the correct ingredients here in the States. I purchase the brown bread mix at any Irish store.  If you do not live near one, you can order it online.  I like Odlum's Brown Bread Mix®.

I will raise a pint of Guinness® in all your honor.  Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!

No comments:

Post a Comment