Monday, August 25, 2014

Eve's Salad

Irish Cooking can also be found at The Petit Chef and Pinterest.




This is a family-favorite salad. It is served so much in my home for family dinners that it is called the house salad. I serve it with a choice of homemade blue cheese, ranch, Russian, or Italian dressing. My pick is the ranch as I think that best brings out all the flavors. This post is dedicated to my niece Eve Paige Morrison Boone. She likes this salad so I thought I would name it Eve's Salad and tell you a little about her. She is a wonderful young woman with two beautiful children Charlotte and Wesley.

Eve was a wonderful child and has grown into a beautiful young woman--inside and out.  She and her daughter Charlotte O'Brien Boone [named after my mother Charlotte O'Brien] both share a love of horses.  Eve had horses when she was a young girl, belonged to Pony Club, and passed that love of the equine on to her daughter.  Charlotte is now only five and taking lessons. Wesley Paul is named after my father Paul. Here are some photos of Eve with her children.







EVE'S SALAD

[Serves 8 for a dinner salad, 3 for an entrée; this recipe can easily be halved]

Ingredients:

Baby greens, enough to fill two large platters
1 fresh pineapple or two cans of pineapple slices, reserve juice
4 avocados
6 boneless chicken breasts
One large jar of sweet and salty mixed nuts
[I prefer the 12 oz. Emerald® Sweet & Salty Mixed Nuts with Glazed Walnuts]
18 slices of crispy bacon
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Arrange the ingredients on the platters in this order: greens, pineapple cut into large bite-sized pieces, chicken also cut into large bite-sized pieces, avocado slices, bacon cut into large bite-sized pieces, nuts, and drizzle the pineapple juice on top. Season to taste. Serve with dressing of choice, but if you like ranch, I think it enhances the flavors better than other dressings.

This recipe is one I also got from Rena Grebert.  I added a few ingredients, but the base is the same.  The original recipe is the Chicken, Pineapple, and Walnut Salad which can be found in the Salads Category of this blog along with a wonderful story of the first time I had this dish at a luncheon at Rena's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment