Sunday, August 31, 2014

Easy, Easy Quiche ala Donna

Cooking Irish can also be found at PETITCHEF and Pinterest.


Donna S. Devaney  [14 July 1948~~27 December 2004]







This quiche has been around for many, many years. It makes for a really quick meal from just about any left over meat, cheese, and/or veggies in the fridge. Instead of ordering pizza, you can make a quick meal of quiche and salad in the time it would take for delivery. And it is such a simple recipe that it is great for a child just learning to cook. Donna, a dear, dear friend, shared this recipe with me, and it was the first recipe my daughter Erin cooked. It uses Bisquick® though I have never seen it in any of the Bisquick® cookbooks I have. Donna had a degree in home economics and knew every trick in the book so maybe it was something she learned at school. She was a wonderful cook and homemaker. Everything she did was done perfectly with joy and great love for her family and friends.  This post is dedicated to Donna Steinhorst Devaney.


My friend Donna with her daughter Kerry at their home in East Aurora, NY



 
 
Donna with her son Chris
 
I remember the day I first met Donna. It was late spring in 1978. I had two young children, and my husband and I had just separated. I was in the backyard planting vegetable seeds thinking I could save money growing my own vegetables. I never added any nutrients to the soil and was planting vertically on a hill. You learn not to do that in grade school science class. It was indicative of my state of mind at the time. Donna was going for a walk around the block. Having just moved to Delmar, she was getting her bearings and a feeling for the neighborhood. We sat and talked on that hill behind the garage all afternoon. She helped me put the seeds in--that would eventually wash down the hill and never produce one vegetable--and never said a word about my stupidity. We laughed about it many times later. It was an instant connection. And I knew in that instant that I had made a friend for life. A nonjudgmental friend. A kind friend. An understanding friend. A generous friend. A friend who taught me so much. We were like sisters--together so much of the time during those years.

In most of my relationships with family and friends I am always the giver--the one providing support and information. Donna was my only friend who gave to me all the time. She cooked for me. She did my taxes. She took my kids. She made suits for me for work. She stenciled my kitchen. She could do everything. She motivated me to complete an unwanted task. She listened to me. She forgave me. She encouraged me. We would sit and drink coffee for hours on end. I would go to her house after work as much as I went to mine. We would laugh that my car just gravitated to her house at 3 PM. It was like the bar downstairs from Ally McBeal's law firm. It was a great place to end the working day. I cannot think of anywhere I would rather have unwound. We literally played thousands of games of Scrabble. And she always beat me. She was so well-read. And I was the one with the masters degree in English. I came across our running score sheet, and she was ahead 36,844 to 35,748. I was 28 at the time and had never read a romance novel. She introduced me to so many great writers of the genre. They filled such a need for romance in my life at the time; I remember devouring all the books she would lend me. When I think back, I don't know why she was my friend. I ask myself what did she get from our friendship, and I weep.

Donna was a large part of the best birthday I ever had. My daughter Erin was 13 and my son Eli was 9. They decided to give me a grand surprise birthday dinner for just the 3 of us. I was a single mom, and it really meant a great deal to me that they put so much of their time and effort into the dinner and decorations. Erin did not cook so Donna gave her an easy recipe--this quiche. She had learned how to make a simple cole slaw in a middle school home economics class. They must have spent days preparing the decorations for there were posters and drawings and balloons everywhere throughout the house, not just the kitchen. Donna's job was to get me out of the house so they could decorate and prepare dinner. She took me to a local pub for birthday drinks. It was a wonderful surprise and a wonderful day.

Because of the divorce, I knew Donna at the most difficult and self-absorbed time in my life. I have always wanted to give to her as she had given to me. This is one of the major regrets of my life. Donna, when we meet again, I will give to you so be prepared to switch roles.


Donna moved with her family to East Aurora, NY and I would continue to see her for years. I would go out every February, and she would faithfully do my taxes until I learned to do them myself. Every summer I would visit her camp at Piseco Lake in the Adirondacks and stay for a week. One year she came for the Irish festival outside Albany, and we laughed and laughed and laughed the night away. It was as if we had never been parted. It was the last time I ever saw her. Donna died of cancer on Monday 27 December 2004 at Mercy Hospital in Buffalo, NY.

She said she was going to write on the 2002 Christmas card and then on the 2003 card, but knew she had to tell me in the 2004 card.  Donna, I was so angry with you for not telling me sooner. We could have spent time together. Why didn't you tell me? You were a very private person I know. And why didn't I live--instead of getting everything ready to live? Why didn't I call you? Because the perception of reality got in the way of reality. My hope is that this is your legacy to me. That I will begin to live instead of preparing to live, and that I will teach others this important lesson.

I loved visiting Piseco Lake. Those are some of my favorite memories of Donna. Sitting on the beach listening to golden oldies on the radio, playing cards at night, sitting by the fire just talking, reading those wonderful romance novels you introduced me to till late into the night. Of all the places I have traveled in my life, I have felt the most relaxed there. And you were always the most important ingredient in that recipe of peace. Donna, you are now at peace. Study The Scabble Dictionary®. Get ready for me. When we meet again, I am going to beat you silly. I love you, Donna, my friend. I miss you so very, very much.  

Donna's Easy Quiche/Children Friendly/Diet Version Too 

Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 cups of milk
1 cup of Bisquick®
8 oz. of your favorite cheese, sliced or shredded [I like white extra sharp cheddar]
1 cup of your favorite meat, cut into bite-sized pieces [I like ham and sausage]
1 cup of your favorite veggie/s [I like mushroom]
¼ tsp. of nutmeg

Preparation:

Heat the oven to 400°.  Lightly butter a 10-inch pie plate.  Beat the eggs, milk, and Bisquick® for 15 seconds in a blender or 1 minute by hand.  Place the cheese, meat, and veggie/s into the pie plate.  Pour the mixture into the pie plate covering the cheese, meat, and veggie/s.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes.

[For a 9-inch pie plate, reduce the ingredients: 3 eggs, 1 ½ cups of milk, ¾ cup of Bisquick®.]

[To make a diet quiche, use egg substitute, fat free milk, Bisquick Heart Smart®, low fat cheese, and more veggies instead of meat. Grease pie plate with a fat-free spray.  It is still yummy!!] 

Donna S. Devaney  [14 July 1948~~27 December 2004]

No comments:

Post a Comment