Friday, September 12, 2014

Irish Reuben Casserole

Cooking Irish can also be found at Pinterest and PETITCHEF.
  
 
If you are fortunate enough to have leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day dinner, and you do not want to take the time to make Reubens, this is the recipe for you. On a day trip to County Clare to see the Cliffs of Moher, we stopped for lunch at a really out-of-the-way pub outside of Ennis. And what a delightful meal we had. The corned beef was rich in flavor, the cheese melted perfectly, and the sauerkraut was especially tangy. The rye crackers and Irish butter made the dish perfect.

The Cliffs of Moher boast one of Ireland's most spectacular views. On a clear day the Aran Islands are visible in Galway Bay, as are the valleys and hills of Connemara. The only time I have been to the cliffs was almost 25 years ago when Ireland was not really equipped for tourism. There was no visitor's center and no fencing. It was incredibly windy that day. My mother and father were visiting for a month so we were touring quite extensively. It was so windy my mother was afraid to get out of the car. She sat in the parking lot, and as we ascended the stone steps, we looked back to see the rental actually bobbing in the parking lot. That should have been a clue to us, but we forged on. It is quite a beautiful sight at the top of the cliffs, but that is not what I remember from that day. As we started to walk down the hill, a tremendous gust of wind caught my father. He lost control, and the wind was swaying him toward the cliff. I stood there paralyzed thinking I was watching my father being blown off the cliff. He came within a foot of the edge about half way down before he finally was able to get his balance and control and tumbled away from the edge.

It is the only time in my life I was so terrified I actually emptied my bladder that moment on the cliffs. Now I understand visitors are well protected and barrier walls have been erected for safety. That is a clear example of how drastically Ireland has changed. There are many other examples I will share with you of the Ireland of 25 years ago--so very different from today. My other memory of the day was food, of course. And here is a very close facsimile of that luncheon in County Clare so many years ago.

Hint: as I wrote in the post on how to make the perfect corned beef and cabbage dinner, I said I always make an extra corned beef in a second crock pot. This is for Reuben sandwiches and this casserole.


My children Erin and Eli at now defunct Murphy's in Dublin during our time in Ireland

Irish Reuben Casserole

Ingredients:

1 16 oz. jar or pouch of sauerkraut
2 lbs. of cooked corned beef brisket, sliced or cut into chunks
1 lb. of shredded Swiss cheese 
1 cup of Thousand Island dressing or mustard
2 large tomatoes, seeded and sliced
3 cups of rye crackers, crushed
6 T. of butter
1 tsp. of caraway seed
[Some people like to add a layer of drained and chopped dill pickles atop the tomato layer.]

Directions:

Spray a baking pan and begin layering.  Fill the bottom to the edges with the sauerkraut, corned beef, and cheese.  Spoon dressing or mustard over the cheese layer.  Top with prepared tomatoes.  In a sauté pan, melt the butter and stir in the crushed crackers to moisten and add the caraway seed.  Layer over the tomatoes.  Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 30 minutes. 

And I hope when it is your time to visit the Cliffs of Moher, you appreciate the safety precautions the Irish government has made!!


No comments:

Post a Comment